Monday, April 9, 2012

hiatus from the west, here's to the east

All apologies for not keeping up with the blog during our stay in the Purgatoire Valley.  I'd been planning an epic entry; in fact I was planning on writing several entries and back-logging them so that you'd all think I was diligently blogging.  Alas, Purgatory did its best to prevent me from telling too much about it.  Also, Purgatory hates technology.

simpson's rest

Trinidad taught me about myself, the land, work-trade, community, and canyon life.  I met some of the best people ever.  After a brief stint as a biology instructor at the local junior college, I left my first "real job" with no regrets, but considerable sadness over walking away from the only fulfilling job I've ever held.  But, adventure calls.

Sancho and I are considering buying land there in the somewhat near future.  We would like 40-ish acres, big rocks/mountain vistas, and ideally an existing dwelling however humble.  AKA canyon style. It's funny how we only lived there for eleven months but feel more connected to the place than we do to western Mass, or even our home towns.  There's something about it that grows roots in you.

pre-AT, north georgia

Tomorrow we start our long walk, Georgia to Maine, on the Appalachian Trail.  It just hit me today that I'll be walking for the next six months. I couldn't imagine anything better. 

amicalola falls

No comments:

Post a Comment